EUROPEAN AGRICULTURAL FUND FOR RURAL DEVELOPMENT (EAFRD)
The European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD), which is the funding instrument of the second Pillar of the Common Agricultural Policy of the European Union and one of the European Structural and Investment Funds, aims at strengthening the EU’s agriculture, forestry sector and rural areas in general.
The EAFRD has a total budget of over €96 billion for the period 2014-2020. This support is provided to agriculture, forestry and environment/ natural resources management as well as to the sustainable development of rural economy.
The EAFRD support can be provided through grants and, increasingly, through financial instruments.
The demand for financial instrument co-funded by the EAFRD has been increasing since 2007, and in particular following the financial and economic crisis which cut short available budgets for rural areas and agriculture.
Financial instruments can thus contribute to the achievement of most of the established EU priorities for rural development:
- fostering knowledge transfer and innovation in agriculture, forestry and rural areas;
- enhancing competitiveness of all types of agriculture and enhancing farm viability;
- promoting food chain organization;
- promoting resource efficiency and supporting the shift towards a low-carbon and climate-resilient economy in the agriculture, food and forestry sectors; and
- promoting social inclusion, poverty reduction and economic development in rural areas, in particular with regards creation and development of small enterprises, as well as jobs creation.
Financial instruments under the EAFRD are available to all potential recipients in agriculture, forestry and in the rural areas who are undertaking financially viable investment projects.
Financial Instruments under EAFRD funds 2014-2020
Factsheet, The European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development, pdf
Manual, Ex Ante Assessment - Quick reference guide, pdf
Manual, Methodological handbook for implementing an ex-ante assessment of agriculture financial instruments under the EAFRD, pdf
Programming Financial Instruments in RDPs 2014 - 2020, Martin Scheele, EC pdf
Reflection on Financial Instruments with EAFRD in Languedoc-Roussillon (FR), Cindy Schultz, Directorate of Rural Affairs, Agriculture and Coastal Economy, Languedoc Roussillon Region, France, pdf